Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lessons from a Big Black Truck

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means 
caring for orphans and widows in their distress and 
refusing to let the world corrupt you.
James 1:27

I am pretty sure that there has never been a sermon or seminar on adoption that hasn't quoted James 1:27.  It's the "go-to" verse when considering the plight of orphans and widows.  It is a verse that has always been near and dear to my heart, but, honestly, I couldn't quite see how the last part of the verse about not letting the world corrupt you went with the orphans and widows part.  It always seemed kind of just stuck on the end.

But it was pretty simple in the mind of a child, my child, Gabriel.  I realized how much God was doing in his heart through this adoption, all because of a big black truck.

About two months ago, there was a big BEAUTIFUL black truck that was for sale on the side of the road near our house.  We would pass this truck at least twice a day, and Tollie would always tease the boys that Mommy was going to buy him that truck.  (They had NO idea how hilarious that thought actually was!)  And so, one day, the boys and I were in the car, and Gabriel made a comment about the truck as we passed by it once again.  So I said, "Well, you know, Gabriel, we could buy that truck, but we just wouldn't be able to adopt a baby sister."  His sweet, simple response brought tears to my eyes.  He said, "Yeah, but in a few years that truck would probably be broken, but a baby sister is forever."

And that's when I realized that he got it.  He got the meaning of James 1:27 perfectly.  This lesson that was so hard for me to understand was simple to him.  He got that fact that stuff tears up, but Meilí and Aaron Lí will be our babies forever.  

And now, it makes sense to me too - how perfectly this verse goes together.  Now when I read James 1:27, my brain translates it something like this:

"Don't let a big black truck stop you from following Me 
to care for orphans and widows."   

And, who knows, maybe one day God will give us a big black truck, but if He doesn't, I am totally fine with that.  We all are.  

So thankful for the lessons we learned from that big black truck. 


"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, 
and he will give you everything you need."  
Matt 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment